Wednesday, October 12, 2022

The Orchard {Review}


The Hostetler family has tended their orchard for generations and look forward enjoying its beauty for many years to come.  Twins Ellie and Evan are the last children at home and the family fully expects Evan to take over the business.  But when his draft number is drawn, Evan makes the difficult decision to enlist.  Amid the tensions of the Vietnam war, Ellie's world starts to shift as well.  Between her love for the Orchard and thinking of her future, she must find her way, all while awaiting for her brother's safe return.  

Beverly Lewis' newest title, The Orchard, introduces the idea of what happens when a young man from a pacifist community goes off to war.  What drives his decision?  How does his community react?  And how does a family survive when a son goes off to war?

I loved how honest this book was about a parents' emotions.  Being a mom of an older teen, I often wonder if I could have done more in the time I've had.  The chapters written from a parents perspective were relatable and rang true to what a lot of us feel.  Ellie was also a relatable character as she often struggle with her brother's decisions and still missed him tremendously.  Lewis did a good job of combining the emotions of pain, fear, and longing in the Hostetler family.

Overall, I enjoyed the plot twist in this one.  The beginning was a little slow and I had to commit myself to seeing it through.  But this book definitely took a different look at Amish life that hasn't been explored in Lewis' earlier works.  A good book for anyone who enjoys Amish fiction.

*Disclaimer: I received a free copy of this book from the publisher.  All opinions are my own.

 

No comments:

Related Posts with Thumbnails