Friday, September 26, 2014

2014 September Bookmarks


*Bookmarks is an online book club hosted at Creative2xmom. Here we discuss the books we've read in the past month as well as the suggested reading. Our suggested reading for September was The Me I Want To Be by John Ortberg.

 These are the books I read this month:


Courageous by Randy Alcorn--  I'll just start out by saying this was a looong book.  That's my way of justifying my short reading list this month.  And I didn't have very high expectations for it as it was a book made from a movie, instead of the other way around.  However, I was very surprised by the quality of the story and the characters.  It really sucked me in.  I would find myself reading way into the night when I just couldn't put it down.  At times it was a little preachy, but not over the top.  And the storyline took several twists and turns that kept me reading.  Very good and definitely worth the read.



Island of the Blue Dolphins by Scott O'Dell-- Classic fourth grade novel we read for California history.  I loved it and my first grader loved it.  The fourth grader... well, he probably would have enjoyed it more if we hadn't read such big chunks at a time.  However, as we clarified the creatures in the story, that was his favorite part.  A great piece of history and a fun way to learn.


Our suggested reading for September was The Me I Want To Be by John Ortberg--  I'm about 75 % through this one and am finding you really can't read it quickly.  Well, it is written in such a way that you could, but you'd really end up missing the point of the book.  It's really missing with the way I think.  My greatest gift from this one is coming in re-wiring the way I think.  Paying attention to my thought life in how I worry or predict the outcome of situations.  I like it... it's just hard to summarize 'cause it's a lot of meat to chew on.

So what are your bookmarks this month?

Tell us in the comments about the books you're chewing on. Or link up a review from your own blog. Let's share the books we're finding, good and bad. And give us your thoughts on The Me I Want To Be by John Ortberg.

And join us for our next bookmarks post coming October 31 as we discuss Real Food Real Frugal by Susan Godfrey.

*Linked to these Parties

No comments:

Related Posts with Thumbnails