Saturday, June 29, 2024

What We Read in June and Our Homeschool Read Alouds ll June 2024

What I Read:


Think Differently About Learning by Maren Goerss and Angela Sizer


The Rhythm of Home by Chris and Jenni Graebe


Homeschool Bravely by Jamie Erickson

I couldn't even tell you how many times I've read this book.  Whenever anyone asks me about my top homeschool read, I always mention this one.  This book has been on my summer reading list for many years and I get something out of it every time.  It was originally a review book for me so you can find my full review here.


A Hobbit, A Wardrobe, and A Great War by Joseph Loconte

I started this one with high hopes about learning more about Lewis and Tolkien, and how their works reflected their experiences.  But about a third of the way through the book, I put it down. The author did a great job exploring the context of WWI, the events that led up to it and how it shaped the worldview of the time.  But he just fell short in how it applied to Lewis and Tolkien's work.  Although an interesting and thorough read, it just wasn't what I was looking for and I lost motivation to finish this one.


I Am Malala by Malala Yousafsai

Of course, I've heard of Malala Yousafsai, but I never really knew details about her story.  So I was excited to find this Young Reader's Edition at the library.  Being for young readers, this version forcusses on Malala's journey as an activist for girls rights and education without going into unnecessary details about the attack against her.  It really focused on her family relationships, particularly her relationship with her father who she seems very close to.  I'll be adding this one to my middler schooler's reading list.

Our Homeschool Read Alouds:


Snow Treasure by Marie McSwigan

When Nazi troops parachute into Peter Lundstrom's Norwegian village, Peter and his friends must transport nine million dollars worth of gold to his uncle's ship, where Uncle Victor will smuggle it to America.  The mission is full of danger, strategy, and mistaken identity.. and highlights the resilience of the human spirit.  We read this one as part of our history curriculum and I love how it makes the human aspect of WWII come to life.  Definitely recommend.


Woods Runner by Gary Paulsen

Thirteen year old Samuel is out hunting when the American Revolution comes to his settlement.  Upon returning, he finds that many of his friends have been killed and his parents kidnapped.  From there, he goes on a mission to rescue his parents, no matter what.  Each day he encounters both enemies and allies, and he must chose who to trust and learn how to survive in the horrors of war.  I read this one aloud to my 7th grader who is prettty sensitive, so I found myself doing some editing while.I read.  But we did find it made the American Revolution relatable.

What are you reading?

No comments:

Related Posts with Thumbnails