Friday, March 28, 2014

2014 March Bookmarks


*Bookmarks is an online book club hosted at Creative2xmom. Here we discuss the books we've read in the past month as well as the suggested reading. Our suggested reading for March was Praying the Scriptures for Your Children by Jodie Berndt.

These are the books I read this month:


Where Courage Calls by Janette Oke and Laurel Oke Logan--See my review here.


March into my Heart: a Memoir of Mothers, Daughters, and Adoption by Patty Lazarus-- This was a memoir of a very personal adoption story.  It follows the journey of one family as they go through all the emotional ups and downs of longing for a daughter, secondary infertility, and finally a private adoption.  You know I'm a sucker for adoption stories, but I really didn't know what to think of this one.  I could easily identify with the emotions of going through adoption.  And it wasn't even that our adoptions are so different.  Rather it was that our world views are so different.  I found myself getting highly annoyed with how the author looked down on so much of the birth parent's world.  She spend so much time talking about hotels weren't good enough, towns were dirty, restaurants were up to par, etc.  It just took away from a very personal story, and made the author sound very ... stuck up.  If you can get past that, it reveals the emotion behind adoption.  But all in all, I was turned off by the author's tone.



Stone Fox by John Reynolds Gardiner-- This was a quick read, following the story of an eight year old boy trying to save his grandfather and the family farm.  The only way he knows how is to enter a dog sled race, competing against the toughest dog sledder in the country.  Clearly the underdog in the situation, Little Willy gathers the town behind him and sets off on the race of his life.  It's a great story of tackling the impossible, rising to the challenge, and finding unexpected allies in the process.  We loved it!


The Trumpet of the Swan by E. B. White--  We loved this book.  I had no idea that this story was going to be as comical as it was.  Poor little Louis is born without a voice and through a comical series of events, he acquires a trumpet and travels the US to pay back his debts.  The story also follows his friendship with Sam Beaver, a boy who takes him to school, follows his career, and finally helps him liberate his love.  It's a story of a Swan, a boy, and the friendship that leads them both to their destiny.  Lots of little thumbs up!

Our suggested reading for March was Praying the Scriptures for Your Children by Jodie Berndt--  I have to confess that I didn't read this one.  And the sad thing is that I really want to.  I thought I had it on my hard drive, but discovered it was just a shortened version on the freebie.  So I was going to read that.  But with it on my hard drive, I wasn't consistent. I'd get on the computer to read and do other things.  However since I've been praying Scripture for my kids this year, I really do want to read this.  So I'll either be picking up the full book or reading the freebie in April.  Did you get a chance to read it?

So what are your bookmarks this month?

Tell us in the comments about the books you're chewing on. Or link up a review from your own blog. Let's share the books we're finding, good and bad. And give us your thoughts on

And join us for our next bookmarks post coming April 26th as we discuss I Have Loved You: Getting to Know the Father's Heart by Cynthia Heald.

*Linked to these Parties

No comments:

Related Posts with Thumbnails