Wednesday, December 12, 2012

Soft Molasses Cookies

I shared this recipe last December (2011) at Pocket Full of Pink.  But I really wanted to have it here, for all of you to reference whenever you want.  Enjoy!

I've been married for over 10 years.  Wow!  That makes me feel old.  Ten years of being married to an awesome man who puts up with, and actually encourages, my craziness.  We have two wonderful little children.  Noah just turned six years old in Oct, and Lydia will be four on Dec 21st.  These two little ones keep my busy, but I find myself growing so much more with them in my life.  The days are long, but the years fly by.


And although I'm an only child, I come from a big involved family which got me thinking about How to Build Strong Extended Family Relationships.  This has really been a tough year and I don't know where I'd be without them.

Some of my other favorite features on the site have been:
52 First Dates--an exercise in strengthening your marriage
Rhythms of Grace--women sharing their real life stories of triumph
Stewarding your Story--Why and how to tell your testimony
and all the fun craftfood, and party ideas coming along each day.


But enough about me.  Let's talk COOKIES!

These soft molasses cookies are very dear to my heart.  Growing up, my grandma was known for her handiwork in the kitchen.  Being in Grandma's kitchen was like finding that warm place in your heart to call home.  Soft, gentle, and smelling of vanilla, my grandma always had a big hug for you and a rolling pin to keep your hands busy.  Every Christmas she'd whip up a hot batch of these molasses cookies and my mouth would water, waiting for them to come out of the oven.

As my kids grow now, I make these cookies once a year, .... every Christmas, .... just like Grandma.  And every Christmas I find myself back in the memory of my Grandma's kitchen waiting for a warm cookie and a soft hug.

Soft Molasses Cookies

You'll need:
1/2 c butter, softened
1/2 c shortening
1 1/2 c sugar
1/2 c molasses
2 eggs
4 c flour
1/2 tsp salt
2 1/4 tsp baking soda
1/2 tsp cloves
2 1/4 tsp ginger
1 1/2 tsp cinnamon

*Cream together butter, shortening and sugar until fluffy.

*Beat in molasses and eggs, set mixture aside.

*In another large bowl, combine flour, salt, baking soda, ginger, cloves, and cinnamon.  Blend thoroughly with wire whisk.

*Gradually add flour mixture into creamed mixture until blended and smooth.

*Form 1 in balls: dip tops into sugar.  Place 2 in apart on greased cookie sheet.  Bake at 350 degrees for 10 min.  Do not over bake.

*Allow to cool slightly on cookie sheet then transfer to a wire rack.

I hope you enjoy these as much as we do.  And have a wonderful Christmas!

No comments:

Related Posts with Thumbnails