Tuesday, November 16, 2010

My First Message: Children's Bible

A few months ago, my husband and I started looking for a great children's bible to introduce to our kids.  We began to watch what our friends were buying, picking them up off the coffee tables and slipping through them.  Taking note of the language and illustrations.

Also of particular interest to us were the application questions.  We wanted a bible that our kids would be interested in, but would also provide opportunity for discussion and application.  Not that this was a substitute for the Lord's leading in our conversation, but rather a help and a supplement.

This one jumped out at us.  The language is contemporary, the illustrations are fun, and the application questions are wonderful.  In fact, I think they're my kids' favorites.  We get to the end of each section and my son makes sure we read the application.  

One of my favorite sections is the "Pray" application at the end of each story.  Many of them connect the child back to confessing and relying on God.  So often I find myself encouraging my children to make good choice, remember Mommy's instructions.  But I overlook their need to rely on God, or at least to express that to them.  This is a great reminder for Mommy as well.

This is an investment that we've made in our kids that's been well worth it.  It's been well loved already and already an established habit in our bedtime routine.  Highly recommended!

2 comments:

Sargent Family said...

if you're looking for another children's bible that's more for fun and learning the stories than for a lot of depth, we love The Rhyme Bible Storybook by LJ Sattgast. Our children are still very young (just barely 3 and 14 months) so the stories in verse are easier for them to follow.

Amy said...

Happy Tuesday.. Happy to hear you found a great Bible for your children..

Related Posts with Thumbnails