Monday, October 5, 2026

Questions I Ask When I'm Feeling Behind In Our Homeschool

 As homeschool moms we can often feel the pressure of "Am I doing enough?"  Mom guilt is a heavy load, but when you add homeschool into the mix, the weight can feel crushing.  Suddenly we've taken on the role of not only Mom. but also teacher, counselor, field trip coordinator, curriculum researcher, finance person, ... the list goes on and on.  It can feel like we're constantly behind.  

But the question is... Are we behind?  Or are we running toward an imaginary goal?

These are he questions I ask myself when I'm feeling "behind:"

  • Are my kids growing in their math, reading, and logic skills?
  • Are my kids able to locate the best option for researching information?
  • Are my kids thinkers?  Do their ask good questions and reason through arguments?
  • Are my kids "tryers?" Are they ok with failure and use it as a catalyst for further exploration?
  • Do my kids display grit?  Do they have the fortitude to pick themselves up?
  • Do my kids feel secure in our relationship?
  • Do my kids find delight in learning?  If not, how can I adjust to bring in more joy?
  • Are my kids curious?  Do they ask questions outside of school hours?
I find that these types of questions put me in a better mindset for evaluating our homeschool.  We may not be in the "correct" lesson of the math book, but they are making progress.  We might have had a bad day with sour attitudes, but overall, our relationship is close.  Our day might have felt rote, but then I remember their delight in identifying the plants on our weekend hike.  All these factors work together in creating a well-rounded homeschool.

No comments:

Related Posts with Thumbnails