Thursday, September 24, 2026

Carols for the Coming Christ {Review}

book cover for Carols for the Coming Christ: 

In this 37 day devotional, author Adam Tice takes the reader on a journey through the carols of Advent through Epiphany in order to deeper understand God's heart.  Each entry includes the words of a song, the scripture it references, a one page devotional on God's character, reflection questions, and a response prompt.  Prompts range from deeper reflection, journaling exercises, writing poems and songs, and responding in other artistic modes.

I didn't love this book.  While it was interesting to see the variety of carols chosen, it quickly became redundant.  Additionally, I started to notice that Tice really stretched his application in the devotional section.  I did some studying and found that the connections he made were out of context and poorly supported.  He introduced personal bias in several entries, so much so that I was put on guard each time I came to this devotional.  With that in mind, I cannot recommend this title.

*Disclaimer: I received a free copy of this book from the publisher.  All opinions are my own.

No comments:

Related Posts with Thumbnails