Thursday, December 21, 2023

10 Christmas Break Tasks for the Homeschool Mom

Christmas Break starts for us tomorrow and I'm ready!  I MIGHT be more ready than the kids.  😀 The past week has found us starting school in our jammies (a big No-No since we started this journey 12+ years ago) and Mom just barely squeaking by.

It's definitely time!

However, I know that taking some time over the next couple of weeks to work through my prep list is going to carry us a long way into the spring semester.  Finding ways to balance relaxation and preparation will ensure that our 2024 starts off strong!

Finish Grading

    I have a tendancy to think that I can just put the last few items aside and I'll remember to get to them later.  Don't do it!  Take a hour or two to get them done right away and really wrap up the first semester.  While your're at it, update any transcripts or course descriptions that you're tracking for your high schoolers.   This will get everything tidied up so you're not trying to remember the details in the rush of second semester.

Clear out first semester items

    Did your student complete any one semester subjects?  Are you transitioning into the second textbook of the course?  Clear off those homeschool shelves of items you won't need in January.  File away any paper or books that you need to hold onto and get ready to sell the items that will be leaving your home.

Inventory supplies

    Take note of any supplies you're running low on.  I tended to never have enough graph paper, fat erasers, or fun writing utensils.  Think about any projects you have coming up early in the second semester.  Look over Jan/February's lesson plans and see if you need any odd items like clay or mini brads.  Make a list while you have a few minutes.

Order Needed Items

    Order those items so that they come over break and can easily be organized and put away.  It may be tempting to think that you have plenty of time.  You don't!  Order them now so that those last minute projects don't get pushed to the side.  Also order any supplemental material you'll need for your coursework... textbooks, chapter books, extra support items.

Order Library Books

    I like to order as many of our school books from the library as I possibly can.  This helps keep our cost down while still exposing my kids to the world around them.  In order to do this, I typically request our books 3-4 weeks ahead of our curriculum.  The second week of break, I'll start to order books we need in the coming month so they're ready for pick up a week or two early.  

Tentatively Plan Field Trips

    Our field trip options have been sparse in the last couple of years so I'm trying to fill in more during 2023-24.  So I'm spending part of my Christmas break surveying other homeschool moms, researching options, checking costs, and penciling field trips into my calendar.  All this will make booking easier come January.  And then if I need to change my dates I can, but I'll have all the details in my planner.

Deep Clean ONE Room

    Balancing homeschooling and housework is quite a challenge.  So I'm choosing ONE room to deep clean while I have a free schedule.  The kitchen can certainly use it after the holidays, but maybe the bathrooms would be better.  Either way, I'm pushing for a DEEP clean that will carry us into the spring semester.

Fill In Calendar Items

    Is your homeschool calendar changing in the new year?  Are your kids taking any new classes?  Have any of their activities changed?  Double check your calendar and make any new changes while you're not being rushed.  

Plan a Date Night

    This is also a great time to reconnect with your spouse.  Plan some time together basking in the season and reflecting on the past year.  Reconnect and share goals for the upcoming year.  Whether a full on date night, or a quick lunch, plan to spend some time together.

Choose ONE Creative Project

    It can be tempting to work, work, work for the full two weeks and not take a minute to relax and recharge.  With that in mind, be sure to build in some creative time over the next few weeks to refill your cup so you don't walk into the new year burned out.  Grab a light book to read or spend some time working on an enjoyable hobby.  You'll be surprised how much progress you make and how good you feel going into 2024.

Most important of all, remember to rest, relax, and reconnect.  Play a board game, bake some cookies, and play in the snow.  Laugh with your kids, remind them how much you love them, and take time to hear their hearts.  Enjoy each other!

What Homeschool Tasks are on YOUR To-Do List?

No comments:

Related Posts with Thumbnails