Tuesday, August 31, 2021

Rewilding Motherhood {Review}



In Rewilding Motherhood, Shannon K. Evans takes the concept of rewilding and attempts to apply it to feminine spirituality.  For years, women have been told that motherhood will complete them.  But many women still long for a deeper spiritual connection with God.  Evans encourages women to use motherhood as an opportunity to connect with a deeper knowledge of God and self.  Topics include: identity, work-life balance, and solitude.

I was really excited about the premise of this book.  I think there's a lot here to explore.  However, the first chapter was so full of red flags.  From the first page, the author asserts that society has told women that they'll be fulfilled from being mothers.  This statement alone is completely contrary to today's view of motherhood which has been greatly devalued.  Evan goes on to talk about how women have sacrificed themselves on the alters of their husbands and children.  Not only did I find this statement offensive, but also untrue.  There's was so many condescending statements just within the first few chapters of this book; I became so frustrated with the author that I just couldn't go any further.  All in all, Rewilding Motherhood felt very poorly researched, very self-helpish, and incredibly judgmental.  I just can't recommend this book for anyone.

*Disclaimer: I received a free copy of this book from the publisher.  All opinions are my own.

 

No comments:

Related Posts with Thumbnails