Wednesday, August 12, 2009

10 Essential Items for New Moms' Diaper Bag

I'm visiting my mom with the kids this week so I'm reposting a prior Works for Me. Hope you enjoy.

I had a great time this weekend attending my cousin's baby shower. I'm so excited that she's having her first baby: a little boy. I can't wait to see him. She's going to be an awesome mother. Even though she's the youngest, she's always been a natural mother. This baby is very lucky.
So in honor of my little cousin, I'm posting a list of my top 10 essential items for a new mother's diaper bag:

1. Burp clothes: These are important for so many reasons. Obviously they protect you and the baby when you're burbing your child. But they're also great for a teething child or for cleaning out the bulb syringe. I mostly used cloth diapers. They were super absorbent and big for those larger messes.
2. A great receiving blanket: I carry at least two. They're great for covering when you need to nurse in public and for swaddling a fussy baby.
3. Gas drops: My pediatrician recommended that we give our son a dose every time we changed him. Furthermore, I took a dose every time to relieve gas after my C-section. It helped our son sleep better and have fewer hiccups.
4. Baby tylenol and thermometer: I can't tell you how many times both of these items calmed my nerves. As a new mom, I needed that extra peace of mind knowing what my child's temp was and knowing that I could ease his pain after those vaccines.
5. Mentholatum: I don't know why but this works. When my kids have colds, I rub a little on their feet and they get better. Simple solution, but works fantastically.
6. Nursing pads: I love those by Lansinol. They are very absorbent and economical. The breast cream by the same company is also very beneficial. You can also buy reuseable cloth pads, but I found that I produced too much milk for them to absorb effectively.
7. Wipes: I've found that the store brand wipes are just as effective as brand name. However, I always try to buy fragrance free items. With a slight history of sensitive skin in the family, I tend to avoid dyes and fragrances. Who needs 'em anyway?
8. Diapers: Need I say more? These are very similar to the wipes. Store brand are really just as effective. We tried a couple of different brands with our son. He was so long and skinny; some brands just weren't tight enough to his little body. Finally we settled on Kirkland and Pampers. But really Kirkland were just as effective at a lower price.
9. Extra hat, socks, outfit: If you leave the house without a hat, it will rain. If you leave without socks, your child will loose one. If you leave without extra clothes, your child will spit up. It's a given.
10. Snacks and drinks: for you and your child. Of course your child won't be eating right away, but when they start, a baggie of cheerios can go a long way to getting you out of Target without buying snacks and having your sanity in tact.

For more Works for Me ideas, check out We Are THAT Family.

No comments:

Related Posts with Thumbnails