Tuesday, August 25, 2009

Medford, Or's Shoji's



Last week, I reviewed an Ashland restaurant that my husband and I recently visited. This week, I'm following along the same lines and mentioning Shoji's of Medford.

Located in an old strip mall, I began to wonder if my memorable experience was just nostalgia playing tricks on me. I hadn't been there in over 10 years and was hoping that dinner would be all that I remembered. Thankfully it was!

I had talked my husband into trying this place, hoping for a fun night out. We sat down with our guests around a grill and ordered double meat chicken dinner. This was the dinner special, but arriving early (before 6 pm) will provide you with a generous discount on the regular menu. I skipped the appetizer (sunomono) simply because I didn't know what it was. It looked pickled and I don't like that flavor. Salads followed. The dressing leaves a lot to be desired. Again, very vinegary. Next time we go there, I would ask if I could swap out that dressing.

Later our chef arrived and aptly described himself as a White Samurai. As he made our dinner, he cracked light hearted, sometimes corny, but clean jokes. The commentary was accented by wacky antics at the grill. We've been there twice and both times, my husband and I have said we can't wait to take our kids there. They would enjoy it so much. It's fun for us, but when we've been seated with kids, it's been even more fun.

Dinner started with seasoned fried rice and grilled veggies. Zucchini, mushrooms, and onions were seasoned well and cooked the way I like them: not mushy. The meat came next and finally followed by bean sprouts. Each round we were served, the chef would supply us with huge portions and I would wonder how he was going to stretch the food around the table. But still after each course, he always had leftovers to offer those who wanted them.

And wow, the quantities did not disappoint. There was so much food there, we ate till we were sick that night and still had plenty leftover for lunch the next day. Despite the appetizer and salad dressing, dinner was incredible. That's what keeps us coming back for more. It's just a fun experience. And the food is well worth the price. For my husband and I, it's definately a night out, but still not going to break the bank.

If you're ever in the area and looking for a unique dinner, be sure to look this one up.

For more Works for Me ideas, check out We Are THAT Family.

No comments:

Related Posts with Thumbnails