Wednesday, May 19, 2021

Forest School Wild Play {Review}


This third book in the Forest School series, Forest School Wild Play covers all new games, activities, and folklore to encourage children in outdoor play and appreciation.  This particular volume focuses on the four elements: Earth, Air, Fire, and Water.  Each section includes forest activities themed around that element.  Overall themes include sustainability, appreciation of nature, honoring the earth, and interdependence within the web of life.

Forest School Wild Play is the first of Jane Worroll and Peter Houghton's work that I've had the privilege to read.  I loved that the activities were divided into four categories making themed units easier to organize.  The games were fun and the activities varied enough to engage a wide variety of ages.  I also really appreciated that each activity listed the social/emotional skills they were designed to build, giving me a greater awareness of what may be happening with my students and children.  All games and skill-builders are thoroughly outlined and explained. 

For the most part, I enjoyed this book as we do enjoy learning in the outdoors.  However, there was a level of reverence displayed in the writing that I just wasn't comfortable with.  The writers seemed to elevate the earth to a level of worship that felt almost sacrilegious.  It was just one of those things that I felt uncomfortable with.  If you can look past that, the activities really are well thought out and appropriate, and would make a great addition to outdoor education.  It was just one of those things that made me pause and felt worth noting.  

*Disclaimer: I received a copy of this book from the publisher.  All opinions are my own.

 

No comments:

Related Posts with Thumbnails