Friday, May 30, 2014

2014 May Bookmarks


*Bookmarks is an online book club hosted at Creative2xmom. Here we discuss the books we've read in the past month as well as the suggested reading. Our suggested reading for May was The Values Driven Child by Larry Shealy.

These are the books I read this month:


The Last Bride by Beverly Lewis-- See my review here.


Hope Rising by Scott Todd-- See my review here.


Seasons of Tomorrow by Cindy Woodsmall-- See my review here.



Rhinestone Jesus by Kristen Welch--  Kristen Welch has been a long time blogger, writing at We Are THAT Family for years.  And I've been a long time reader.  So I was excited to see this book come out.  My mommy blessed me with a copy for Mother's Day and I couldn't wait to get started.  Welch shares her story of being a typical mom called to start a maternity house all the way over in Africa.  She's quite frank about her own short comings and inexperience, and is quick to give all the glory to our Heavenly Father.  Her testimony is a challenge to all of us as we "un-pin" our safe faith and dare to dream bigger than ourselves.  This book is more than a biography.  It is filled with insight and testimony that will challenge all of us as we wonder, "What could saying yes to God really mean for our lives?"  I walked away from this one troubled, contemplative, and inspired.  Are you ready?



Mrs. Piggle-Wiggle by Betty MacDonald--  Hilarious... although I think it was funnier for my husband and I than it was for the kids.  The chapters illustrate Mrs. Piggle Wiggles unusual cures for common children misbehaviors.  They are goofy, outrageous, silly, and so far from reality.  It was a little over my kids' heads, but for me... I read the next one just for myself.


A Bear Called Paddington by Michael Bond--  You think you know Paddington?  So did I.  You think he's only for kids?  Think again.  My kids love the outrageous hijinks of this little bear and it opened up set of vocabulary and ideas for us to discuss.  Very much a long the same lines as Amelia Bedelia.


Our suggested reading for May was The Values Driven Child by Larry Shealy--  This is was an interesting read and not quite what I expected.  Shealy comes out and speaks a lot like talking one on one with a fellow parent.  Although this book is only the first in a series, Shealy explores what it's like to coach children with purpose, building character.  Reminding us to get on the same level as our kids, connecting with consistency, and reconnecting... Shealy reminds us of a great place to start.  Not sure I'd read the entire series, this one did remind me of some great parenting techniques and worth a couple of dollars to jumpstart your purposefilled parenting.

So what are your bookmarks this month?

Tell us in the comments about the books you're chewing on. Or link up a review from your own blog. Let's share the books we're finding, good and bad. And give us your thoughts on The Values Driven Child by Larry Shealy.

And join us for our next bookmarks post coming June 27th as we discuss Culture of Honor by Danny Silk.

*Linked to these Parties

No comments:

Related Posts with Thumbnails