September screams fall to me and nothing says fall like apples. The crisp juicy crunch of a freshly picked apple is unbelievable. And apple desserts are all about capturing that feeling and the comfort of the changing seasons.
So when I saw this recipe on pinterest several months back, I'm immediately pinned it, already thinking ahead to the changing seasons and the cooler evenings. If you're like me, you'll pin anything that says "cheesecake" and these make a seasonal treat that is not to be missed. Enjoy!
Carmel Apple Cheesecake Bars
from The Girl Who Ate Everything
2 c. flour
1/2 c. packed brown sugar
1 c. butter, softened
3 (8oz) pkages cream cheese, softened
3/4 c. sugar, plus 2 Tbsps, divided
3 lrg eggs
1 1/2 tsp vanilla
3 apples, peeled, cored, and chopped (Granny Smith's for tartness)
1/2 tsp cinnamon
1/4 tsp nutmeg
1 c. brown sugar
1 c. flour
1/2 c. quick cooking oats
1/2 c. butter, softened
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Combine flour and brown sugar. Cut in the butter until the mixture is crumbly. Press evenly into a 9x 13 pan sprayed with cooking spray. Bake 15 min or until lightly brown.
- Beat cream cheese with 3/4 c. sugar until smooth. Add eggs, one at a time, and vanilla. Pour into warm crust.
- Stir together apples, remaining brown sugar (2 Tbsp), cinnamon and nutmeg. Spoon over cream cheese mixture.
- Combine all streusel topping ingredients. Make sure the butter is really cut well.
- Sprinkle streusel over apples. Bake 40-45 min. or until set. Drizzle with carmel and let cool. Enjoy!