Monday, August 6, 2012

An Olympic Day

Last week when the Olympics started, I knew I wanted to do something special with the kids.  We'd all be REALLY sick and had an extreme case of cabin fever.  Daddy was at a staff retreat for the church and Mama needed a break from the routine.  So the Olympics were entering our house with a lot of expectation.
Since we weren't in a hurry to get anywhere that morning, I told the kids I'd make waffles for breakfast.  My kids love big breakfast, but we're usually off and running in the mornings.  So when we have time, I like to make breakfast special.  I used the idea from Supermom's Olympic Waffles.  I don't have a circle cookie cutter so we used a canning ring to cut the waffles.  After making the rings, my kids thought it was great to pick out their colors.

For dessert that evening, we picked up some M&M's for making more rings.  Craft-O-Maniac had an awesome sugar cookie recipe that we used.  I looked in the cupboard to see that we were out of sugar, but brown sugar worked wonderful and gave the recipe even more depth.  Unfortunately our frosting was a little sloppy, but the important thing was that it held our M&M's.  The kids had fun sorting and adding them to the cookies.


As the evening got underway, we turned on the Opening Ceremony to see what these Olympics were all about.  While we watched, I pulled up a variety of world flags on the laptop and the kids colored.  I was absolutely floored how they got into their coloring.

They colored for over three hours.  With each new picture, they wanted to know what country it was for and what kind of athletes they were sending to the Olympics.  My favorite part is watching the teams march in and my kids loved it too.  Noah cracked me up:  "That's China.  I love China!" and "There's India!  Go India!"  They had a great time and at the end of the evening, I had them hold up their favorite flag of the night.

All in all, we had a fun Olympic Day.  The kids learned a ton and Mama had a great time too.

How are you enjoying the Olympics?

No comments:

Related Posts with Thumbnails