Thursday, December 8, 2011

Flower Hair Clips

*Originally posted Oct 2010

A few months ago while I was searching the internet, I came across these Fabric Flowers Sew Mama Sew.  I was blown away by how simple and yet stunning they really were.  I mean, really?  Who came up with this idea?  They are amazing!


Needless to say, I loved them and bookmarked them immediately.  I knew I wanted to make some for my daughter.  But I kept putting it off and putting it off.  I don't sew much and with all the other hobbies I have, I just don't have time to learn.  I thought they looked really pretty, but since I don't sew, I was afraid they would be a bigger job than I could handle.

Boy was I wrong.

If you can thread a needle and sew a basic stitch they are so doable.  I took me about a hour to put together four of them.  And really the majority of the time was spent figuring out the first one.  

I found the trick to be that when you're folding and adding the extra stitches on the back, make your stitches bigger.  If they are too bunched in the center, you won't get any dimension.  Make the line longer and the stitches a bit wider.  Perfect.


I added a basic clip to the back of each with hot glue and instant hair clips for a little girl.  These came out very boutique-y.  Put together two or three sets of these and you have the perfect gift for a niece or friend.  You could even add a trio to a larger clip.

I love them and am already thinking about who else I can make them for.  I only spent $3 on material and have a TON left over (I bought 1/4 yard each instead of 1/8 yard each).  The clips come in a package of about 20 and can be bought with a 40% off coupon at your local craft store.  Frugal and elegant,... now that's my kind of gift.

What are you crafting up this week?

No comments:

Related Posts with Thumbnails