Friday, February 22, 2008

Just for Mom Friday

If you're anything like me, you measure your day in routines, chunks of time, and naps.  Some days, I'll be nursing the baby, counting the minutes till she and my son go down for a nap.  Usually, he's just thrown his Lightning car or yelled at his sister for crying when she's hungry.  And she's crying 'cause I'm not feeding her fast enough.  And I'm crying 'cause my lunch is still sitting on the kitchen counter getting cold.  So I'm counting the minutes.
If you're anything like me, you have days when you remember how easy life was before kids.  The weekends you could sleep till at least 8 am, guaranteed.  The days when you could pick up and get in the car without locating several pairs of shoes, a couple of lovies, jackets, diaper bag, spare keys 'cause your toddler hid the first set, coupons for diapers, and the list goes on and on.
If you're anything like me, you have weeks that you just don't remember.  Some how they passed in a blur of diaper changes, peanut butter and jelly sandwiches, potty training, birthday parties, menu planning, and trying to keep your family from going into complete debt.
But a few days ago, I heard a speaker talking about the importance of being present in every moment.  Allowing God to show us what he's doing in others and how that can only come about when we are living in "today."  And I realized that I'm missing the best parts of being a mom.  And not only am I short changing myself, but I'm short changing them as well. 
 What am I missing in my busyness of being a mom and homemaking?
I'm missing the little boy who is learning compassion for his baby sister.
I'm missing the little girl that loves to interact at such a young age.
I'm missing the little boy who has a wonderful imagination.
I'm missing the little girl who has a joyful spirit.
I'm missing the little boy who is struggling to understand potty time.
I'm missing the little girl that awakes with a smile, even at 3 am.
I'm missing the little boy who is learning worship songs on Sunday morning and in his own special way is praising the Lord.
I'm missing the little girl that is a gift from that same God, who will reveal her personality in his own time.
What are you missing?  
  

No comments:

Related Posts with Thumbnails