Tuesday, November 22, 2022

Giving Your Words {Review}

 


Words are so incredibly powerful.  They have the power to make or break someone's day.  But do they have the power to shape a child's life?  Sally and Clay Clarkson explore the idea of communicating with our children and how verbal communication has the power to form lifelong faith within our families.  Based on Biblical principles and the Clarksons' own parenting journey through the years, Giving Your Words is an inspiration read for any parent wishing to pass on their faith and build up their family.  

The Clarksons lovingly guide the reader in viewing the Lord as the original Word Giver.  It was His own words that created the world, culminating with the creation of man.  Now He passes on the privilege to us as we give our words in shaping how our children see the world and themselves.  Sally and Clay Clarkson affirm that love is a verb.  But it is also verbal... communicated in our words to others.  The principles established in this book are meant to be guides and not formulas, providing flexibility for individual family cultures while still being life-giving.  

This was a good title for me to read during this stage of life.  Raising and homeschooling teenagers, we spend ALOT of time together.  And our words and tone often veer into some dangerous territory.  Giving Your Words is a great reminder that my kids learn how to communicate from me.  Their tone and words have been modeled by my own.  These kids are looking to me for approval, validation, encouragement, inspiration, uplifting, and so much more.  How will my words affirm their place in the world?  

Giving Your Words was convicting and inspiring.  I came out of this read with fresh vision and encouragement to keep moving forward in raising my kids and to keep calling out all the gifts that the Lord has placed in them.  I hope to one day look around and see that I enjoy a healthy relationship with my children through a vibrant exchange of ideas and words.  This is a great book for any parent, or anyone mentoring children, either in ministry or within a family context.  Simply wonderful.

*Disclaimer: I received a free copy of this book from the publisher.  All opinions are my own.

No comments:

Related Posts with Thumbnails