Friday, November 20, 2009

Frugal Friday: Homemade Christmas #3



Continuing with the felt food I've been making for Baby Girl's birthday, I worked on tomatoes, fried eggs, and pancakes this week. I'm really quite proud of how these are turning out and can't wait to see her playing them. For last week's tutorial on bread, toppings, and bacon, look here.

Tomato Slices--
I used this pattern to get the basic idea for the red part of the tomato. But I didn't like the inside. So I made my own pattern for tear shaped seeds. Play with how many you like. Originally I cut 7 for each tomato slice, but ended up only using 5 a piece. Two slices fit nicely onto a bread slice from last week.



I cut and laid out my pieces, particularly noting the pattern of the seeds. First stitch your seeds onto the top tomato piece. I like the star pattern for the seeds.





Stitch the top tomato slice to the bottom, stuffing as you go. Make it as plump or as thin as you'd like. I like mine plump.



Already for a BLT sandwich with the bacon and lettuce we made last week.

Fried Eggs--
I used this pattern to get me started. For each egg, you'll need two white pieces and one yellow "yolk."



Laying out the pieces for my egg.



I began by stitching the yolk onto the top white, stuffing as I went. It helps to lift the foot while you're stuffing. Don't forget to do some backstitching at the beginning and end.



Finally stitch the bottom white, again stuffing as you go. Push the stuffing into the corners, rounding the egg out as much as you can. A popsicle stick works great for this.

I stuffed mine quite a bit, but play with how much stuffing you like.

Pancakes--



These were pattern-less. I made a brief outline on copy paper based on the size of my bread. I didn't want my pancake to be bigger than a piece of felt bread. I also tried to make it more of an oval shape, rounding the corners. These pieces were cut out of a orange-tan.

From there, I made a smaller, "squishy" pattern for the syrup and cut a tiny yellow square for the butter. I didn't stuff any of the toppings, but looking back on it, it would be fun to stuff the butter, just a little bit.

Stitch the butter onto the syrup; then stitch the syrup onto the top piece of pancake. Finally stitch the top and bottom pancake together, stuffing as you go. Instant breakfast!

So what do you think? Any ideas of other items I could tackle to complete this set?

Click here for the Sandwich Set Tutorial.

Check out my blog next week for popsicles, raviolis, and tea bags.

For more Frugal Friday ideas, go to Life as Mom.

2 comments:

AmyK said...

I made some felt food for my niece last year for Christmas! She loves 'em. Every once in a while I'll make something else to add to her set and she's always excited! Yours look great!

Lenetta said...

I have a huge fascination with felt food . . . I just need to MAKE some already. :>) I linked to this on my weekly roundup (post is here) - thanks, and happy Thanksgiving!!

Related Posts with Thumbnails