Tuesday, September 1, 2009

Vegetarian Lasagne




As I was preparing for company this past weekend, I opened my refrigerator and thought, "What can I make that's both frugal and nutritious? And company worthy?"

We try to eat lots of fruits and veggies and looking in the fridge I had:
zucchini
bell pepper
spinach
carrots
etc.

oh, and yummy Homemade Spaghetti Sauce.

Thinking quickly we came up with a Vegetarian Lasagne.

1. Chop red bell pepper and zucchini. Shred carrots.
2. Microwave with a little water for two minutes.
3. Toss in spinach.
4. Layer some sauce and then noodles.
5. Follow with a layer of veggies, then a layer of mozzarella.
6. Follow with another set of layers, ending with a third layer of noodles and cheese.
7. Put in a preheated oven set at 350 degrees for 1 hr.

My almost 4 year old and almost 2 year old both loved it. We served it with a spinach salad and grilled cheese bread. Not only was this a great company dish, but also a wonderful way for me to get my kids to eat their veggies. We just stayed moderate with the cheese and we all loved it. I will be serving this again very soon.

For more Works for Me ideas, check out We Are THAT Family.

No comments:

Related Posts with Thumbnails