Tuesday, May 19, 2009

Works for Me Wednesday



This one is a super simple "Works for Me."
We are in the middle of a move. Just a cross town move, but there's so much to be done nonetheless. So as I'm packing stuff in the kitchen, Big Boy is packing a box in his room. He's really been wanting to help, but what do you give a 3 year old to do?
So here I am packing glassware, pots and pans, etc, and working alongside me, in a sense, he's filling a box of books and toys.
It only keeps him busy for awhile, but as long as I stay organized, I can get a lot done in that time.
He works in starts and stops, but that's ok. Anytime I need a few minutes to myself, I send him back to his box. He loves feeling like he's helping out and it's something I can trust him to do on his own.

Oh, one last quick note... How am I packing my glassware?
Instead of hunting down packing material, I'm starting out by wrapping my glasses in washclothes and dishtowels. They protect my glasses and they have to be packed anyway. Two in one.

For more Works for Me ideas, check out We are that Family.

4 comments:

Shannon said...

Great idea! We are about to head back to the US for a little while so this is a good idea to keep the kids busy while I finish up the packing . My daughters love to just play with suitcases and they turn them into beds - for themselves and for their dolls!

Paula @ Organizing Tips For Moms said...

We moved when my daughter was 2.5 and I was 8 months pregnant. I found that if I let my daughter "pack" non-breakable items, things went much better, even if I had to go back and re-pack. After a while she would go onto something else. I even let her color the boxes to "help mommy".

Kelli @ writing the waves said...

We are in the midst of a move too with two kids. My almost three year old loves to UNPACK the boxes. But I've been trying to give them stuff to do to distract them like letting them color all over the boxes. Keeps them occupied for at least 20 minutes or so at a time. They really love it if I let them use washable markers...with fingers crossed that the markers don't end up on the wall. haha :)

Erin @ Closing Time said...

We are right in the middle of packing for a move. Thanks for sharing this great idea!

Related Posts with Thumbnails