Wednesday, May 23, 2018

Raising World Changers in a Changing World {Review}


As parents, we want the best for our children.  We hope that they can build on the struggles we've walked through.  We wish good things for them: happiness, success, and the ability to thrive.  But what if our vision is short sighted?  What if there's more to raising kids than setting them up for a "happy life?"  

Author, Kristen Welch, tackles the hard subject of sacrifice and parenting in her new book, Raising World Changers in a Changing World.  Welch takes the reader on a journey of discovery and asks the question: What does it take to really raise world changing kids?  Education?  A smooth road paved by mom and dad?  Or sacrificing to see God's glory revealed?

Throughout this book, I found myself challenged again and again.  Am I playing it too safe?  What about those living outside of the U.S.?  Am I raising kids to make a difference in the global society?  Do I even know what that would look like?  Welch shares personal stories from her own family and ministry in Kenya, causing me to reflect on what sacrifice and giving looks like in our home.  And while I don't believe all of us are called to global missions, I do believe there is a mission field laid out for each person.  The question is, will I embrace my mission and help my children find theirs?

On a practical level, Welch closes each chapter by interviewing one of her children.  They talk about how sacrifice and living with others in mind has shaped their lives.  It's great insight into the minds of the children who have lived this way of life.  On a heart level, the author speaks with such honesty that this book absolutely wrecked me.  While I've seen some desperate situations in the world, this book was a great reminder that I wasn't born to live a "happy life."  I was born for something greater.  And so were my kids.  Having read through the book, I feel as though I've only uncovered a fraction of its wealth.  This one will certainly be reread several times over. 

*Disclaimer: I received this book free from the publisher.  All opinions are my own. 

No comments:

Related Posts with Thumbnails