Friday, February 22, 2013

2013 February Bookmarks


IMG_9390_zps9a7d5a53
*Bookmarks is an online book club hosted at Creative2xmom. Here we discuss the books we've read in the past month as well as the suggested reading. Our suggested reading for February was Prayer Starts with a Relationship by Cynthia Bezekw.

These are the books I read this month:

Called Home: Finding Joy in Letting God Lead Your Homeschool by Karen DeBeus--  This book was exactly what I needed at this point in my home school journey.  We're in our first year and hitting that mid-semester slump.  I'm at the point now where I still feel unsure of myself and it's enrollment time for next year.  Do I wait and see how we finish out this year?  Do I enroll both kids ('cause there will be two next year)?  What do I do?  And while I can't say that this book gave me all the answers I was looking for, it did remind me that I'm just being faithful.  If I've been called to home school, then I have to take it seriously, but the results are up to the Lord.  None of us have it all figured out, whether it's parenting, marriage, or homeschooling.  Our plans have to be daily laid before the Lord as we listen to His voice.  This was a great remind and a book  I can see myself returning to again and again.


Bringing up Girls by Dr. James Dobson--This was a re-read for me.  Lydia's in a funny stage and I'm always looking for all the help I can get.  :-)  Dobson does a great job of laying out the physical and psychological changes that our girls go through as they grow up.  It's a great reminder that our little girls are changing, the world is challenging, and we have the duty to be the protectors of our daughters.  Worth the read, especially if you can pick it up at the library like I did.


Unglued Devotional by Lysa TerKeurst--See my review here.



Our suggested reading for Prayer Starts with a Relationship by Cynthia Bezekw-- So, maybe I didn't read the book description before purchasing this book.  And obviously I didn't read it before putting it on the reading list.  I goofed and didn't realize it was a 6 week study before I started.  Having said that, I'm glad I hadn't or I might not have picked this book up.  I'm only about half way through, but I'm loving this week.  Unlike some studies these days, this one is actually turning out to be life changing.  So often I find that books like these are filled with just fluff.  Nice and soothing for the soul, but not much substance.  Bezekw's format and questions are thought provoking and deep.  They keep the reader looking for a deeper answer and really opening up to hear the Lord's voice.  I love it so far and hope you're enjoying it as well.

So what are your bookmarks this month?

Tell us in the comments about the books you're chewing on. Or link up a review from your own blog. Let's share the books we're finding, good and bad. And give us your thoughts on 

Don't forget to come back March 29th and we discuss Hope for the Weary Mom by Brooke McGlothlin.

*Linked to these Parties

No comments:

Related Posts with Thumbnails