Thursday, February 18, 2021

Poem in My Pocket {Review}


For some of us, poetry feels cryptic.  We remember back to English class where we toiled over finding the hidden metaphors and themes, only to lose sight of the playfulness of language.  What if we could be comfortable with poetry?  Find companionship in its rolling rhythm and peace in its rich vocabulary?

That's the kind of relationship I want my children to have with poetry.  I want them to come to a poem as they would come to an old friend, with the expectation of understanding and being understood.  That's why books like Poem in My Pocket are so important.  Children need poetry books that meet them where they're at.  Poetry books that will grow in their heart and minds from a young age, inviting them into language instead of threatening them with hidden meanings.

Poem in My Pocket does just that.  This rollicking adventure features a little girl whose pocket rips and out spills a poem.  Written in simple rhyme scheme, the poem floats throughout the town, ever just out of reach.  And the illustrations are just as whimsical as the rhyme, with words written into motion, sometimes jumbled and mixed up in the adventure as well.  And besides the poem, the author has also included extension activities, further engaging the reader in language play.

I'm a huge proponent of getting kids comfortable with poetry at a young age.  This playful book does just that through language and illustrations.  This is a fun book to play with puns, suffixes, and so much more.  Cute story and great way to introduce the fun that can be had with poetry.

*Disclaimer: I received a free copy of this book from the publisher.  All opinions are my own.

 

No comments:

Related Posts with Thumbnails