Friday, March 25, 2016

2016 March Bookmarks

 photo 001ee2ef-0f8c-4ed3-a21f-d69f34cee3ce_zps157ipvoh.jpg

*Bookmarks is an online book club hosted at Creative2xmom. Here we discuss the books we've read in the past month as well as the suggested reading. Our suggested reading for March was Girl Soldier by Faith J. H. McDonnell and Grace Akallo.

These are the books I read this month:


The Life-Changing Magic of Tidying Up by Marie Kondo-- This book gave me a much needed kick in the behind as far as my need to declutter our home.  And while it's far from perfect, it certainly has gotten me started on a productive process.  Kondo goes into thanking her items "for their service" which I just couldn't bring myself to believe in.  However, I do agree with much that she had to say about holding things out of obligation and sentiment.  It really gave me a new perspective on enjoying the items that fill my home and letting go of those that just don't "bring me joy."  Trendy and thought provoking, this book is more about how we look at our posessions than how we declutter then, but very much needed if clutter is to be eliminated.



Homer Price by Robert McCloskey-- Only 6 (but long) chapters, Homer Price is an interesting look into mid-American history.  Funny, witty, and wholesome, a fun read to add to American history or just any time.


Our suggested reading for March was Girl Soldier by Faith J. H. McDonnell and Grace Akallo- This book was heart breaking to say the least.  After reading, I'm ashamed to say I knew (and still know) very little about the conflict/civil war raging in Northern Uganda.  And certainly didn't know about the psychological warfare being waged on "our" children there.  A mix between memoir and historical nonfiction, Girl Soldier overwhelmed me by these lost children, an entire generation, being destroyed in their own country.  Thankfully, the book redeems itself with lots of resources for action and points of entry.  This is an absolute must read for every advocate, Christian, or anyone valuing the sanctity of life.  I can't even put into words what this book did to me.  Read it!

So what are your bookmarks this month?

Tell us in the comments about the books you're chewing on. Or link up a review from your own blog. Let's share the books we're finding, good and bad. And give us your thoughts on Girl Soldier by Faith J. H. McDonnell and Grace Akallo.

And come back April 29th as we discuss The Sacred Year by Michael Yankoski.

*Linked to these Parties

No comments:

Related Posts with Thumbnails