(Click on post for video)
(Video from a few years ago/ text goes more in depth)
Artist study is one of those subjects that I used to think I just didn't have time for. It wasn't something I grew up learning and I just didn't think I could make the time to learn about art to teach it to my kids. Who has time for artist study between grammar lessons and hatching caterpillars and dinner to be prepped and the baby crying? It was just too much.
Little did I know just how easy Artist Study could actually be.
A couple of years ago, I set out on a journey to incorporate more art into our homeschool. In order to keep it from being lost in our day, I decided to anchor it one morning a week in our morning basket. My goal was to simply get the kids familiar with different artists and styles of art. It wasn't to give them a complete overview of art history, but rather to consider art, enjoy it, let it shape them. I wanted them to see art as something accessible to anyone, to form a relationship with it. To see value in it purely for what it is.
And it had to be both quick and easy!
So here is how we got started:
1. Start early-- This is my one regret in artist study. I waited until my kiddos were in middle school before I jumped in. I wish I would have started younger so they were have had years more to enjoy good art.
2. Choose about 6 paintings from one artist to cover over the course of 12 weeks--We follow the Ambleside Online rotation, but you can choose any artist you enjoy. We observe one painting per week and then loop though them a second time. This means we are exposed to about 3 artists per year.
3. Show the painting to your student for about 5 minutes-- discuss what you both notice. How does the title refection the action in the painting? What details can you notice? Does this painting remind you of anything others you've seen by the same artist?
4. Have your child tell back-- Now turn the painting over and ask them to tell back what they remember. What details can they specifically recall?
5. Review the painting together-- Take a second look at the painting. Where their details correct? What do they notice now that they didn't notice before?
6. Display the painting for the following week-- Remind children to take notice of it for a few minutes every day. Allow the details and feeling of the painting to be observed.
7. Have your child give you an oral or written narration-- At the end of twelve weeks, ask your child which of the six paintings was their favorite. Have them give you an oral or written narration, including any details they recall, as if you've never seen the painting yourself. Ask them to describe why they chose that particular painting and any other information they'd like to give you. Younger children can also try to imitate that painting with a drawing or painting of their own if they choose.
It really is that simply. Add in a trip to a local museum if you'd like, but don't feel pressured to take it any further. Read a book about the artists life if you want to go deeper, or just keep it simple. Remember the goals are exposure and enjoyment. It amazes me how this little once a week practice has completely changed the way my kids feel about artists and art history. And our lives are so much richer for it!
Do you include artist study in your homeschool? Would you like to try?


No comments:
Post a Comment