Tuesday, August 27, 2019

The Middle Matters {Review}


In her newest book, The Middle Matters, author Lisa-Jo Baker shares some of her insights and wisdom about middle age.  Through personal stories and reflections, she shares how middle age sometimes gets a bad rap.  With our bodies showing the passage of time, but our minds still feeling 20 years old, middle age can be rough.  But it can also be the sweet spot where we finally embrace who we are: wrinkle, gray hair, strong opinions, and all.  

This was my first exposure of this author.  And she is a wonderful story teller.  Baker writes with humorous insight into marriage, parenthood, and love handles.  However, what I didn't realize is this: The Middle Matters is a collection of short essays and personal stories.  It really has more to do with the author herself than communicating truth about women in middle age.  That's ok if your enjoy a collection of essays.  I do not.  This book felt like "light" Christianity: full of fluff, without a lot of substance.

Sadly, I cannot recommend this book.  There really wasn't enough there to make it worth my time and I ended up skimming a majority of it.

*Disclaimer: I received a copy of this book from the publisher.  All opinions are my own.



No comments:

Related Posts with Thumbnails