Friday, December 29, 2017

Top 10 Favorite Books from 2017

Looking back on this past year, I realized that it was the Year of Fiction.  Of the over 50 books I read this year, the vast majority of my favorites were fictional.  And some of them were surprises even for me.  I discovered some new authors and returned to some tried and true favorites.  
These are my Top 10 Favorite Books from 2017:


The Gift of Christmas Past by Cindy and Erin Woodsmall--
Cindy Woodsmall has long been one of my favorite authors so when she teamed up with her daughter in law, I was more than excited to review their new book.  Children of foster care was a focus of this book (already working its way into my heart) and the sensitive subject was treated with a lot of dignity.  Not so much a Christmas book, but well worth the read.


The Husband's Secret by Liane Moriarty--
Moriarty is a phenomenal writer.  I've read about 3-4 of her books and have not been disappointed once.  This story sucked me in right away and took so many twists and turns.  So good.


Growing Up Too Fast by Sylvia Rimm--
One of the few non-fiction books to make the list, this is a Must Read if you have a middle schooler.  I have a middle schooler and have worked as a Jr. High teacher and was still astounded by some of the finds in this book.  Reading this one really opened my eyes to the middle school world and gave me a lot of sympathy for my own kiddo.


Mr. Lemoncello's Library Olympics by Chris Grabenstein--
This was actually the 2nd book in a series and I loved them both.  Written at a middle school level, this book kept me hooked all the way through.  With so many references to other literary works, it had my Language Arts heart singing.  Can't wait to pick up the 3rd book.


The War That Saved My Life by Kimberly Brubaker Bradley--
Another favorite from my kids' reading lists.  Set in World War II, this book was both about the war and a study of human nature.  We will be revisiting this one when I teach Modern History.


The Kindness Challenge by Shauti Feldhahn--
One of the Top 10 Posts of 2017, this was an incredible book.  Broken down into three categories (husband to wife, wife to husband, and individual to others), this book addresses so many relationships and how to improve them.  I actually put it back on my 2018 reading list and I'm excited to continue implementing many of these same ideas in my relationships.


The Year of Learning Dangerously by Quinn Cummings--
Part memoir, part comedy, this book had my laughing and reflecting all the way through.  In this book, Cummings explores the world of homeschooling and all its various philosophies.  I found myself both nodding my head and scratching my head.  It really made me question why I teach the way I do and opened my eyes to new ideas.


Gathering the Threads by Cindy Woodsmall--
The final book in the series and it did not disappoint.  Really the whole series would be in my Top 10, but the first two came out last year.  A really, really great series.


Truly Madly Guilty by Liane Moriarty--
Like I said, Liane Moriarty does a great job and this was one of my favorites.  She really did a great job of creating an interesting cast of characters and still bringing each one a lot of depth.  Put this one on your reading list.


In The Shadow of Denali 
by Tracie Peterson and Kimberley Woodhouse--
Both of these authors are relatively new to me and I wasn't sure what to expect, but this book intrigued me because of its setting: Alaska.  How could a book about Alaska disappoint?  And it set at the turn of the 20th century.  So this one nicely blended some history and a great story as well.  I'm looking forward to book #2 coming out in 2018.

What were your favorite books of 2017?





No comments:

Related Posts with Thumbnails