*Post was originally published on 12/20/12
Peppermint is one of my absolute favorite flavors. And as soon as Thanksgiving is over, I start craving peppermint. It's just cool, refreshing, and completely... Christmas.
So when I was searching the internet last year and came across this recipe, I knew I had to try it. Why hadn't I thought of this before? So simple and one of my absolute favorite flavors.
Peppermint Ice Cream
1 c. Whole Milk, chilled
3/4 c. sugar
2 c. Heavy Cream, well chilled
1/2 tsp vanilla
1 tsp peppermint (I used 2 tsp.)
3/4 c. crushed peppermint candy
optional: crushed peppermint candy
mini chocolate chips
1. Whisk milk and sugar together until sugar dissolves, approx 1-2 min.
2. Stil in cream, vanilla, and peppermint.
3. Pour into ice cream machine and freeze 25-30 min.
4. Crush some miniature candies and add in during final 5 min.
5. Pour into a freezer bowl and "ripen" in freezer for a few hours.
6. Top with your choice of goodies.
This ice cream was incredible. I suggest tasting your batter before adding it to the ice cream machine as I noted that I doubled the peppermint extract. Otherwise, it's definitely a winner. The texture is velvety and light, like homemade whipped cream. You can't go wrong with this ice cream for a yummy seasonal treat!