Friday, August 1, 2014

2014 July Bookmarks


*Bookmarks is an online book club hosted at Creative2xmom. Here we discuss the books we've read in the past month as well as the suggested reading. Our suggested reading for July was Sacred Parenting by Gary Thomas.

These are the books I read this month:

A Sister's Secret by Wanda E. Brunstetter--  I've never read anything by Brunstetter and really wasn't sure what to expect.  This story follows Grace, the eldest of three sisters, is hiding a secret from her rumshringer and when a mysterious stranger shows up, she worries he could destroy her family.  And when strange break-ins start happening, the list of suspects starts growing.  Good and bad to this book: The plot was actually really good and kept me interested... Details were drug out here and there.  Brunstetter has a tendency (in this book) to go over the same details for chunks at a time.  However, I did enjoy it enough to still look forward to the next book in the series.  So we'll see.


Child of Mine by David and Beverly Lewis-- See my review here.


Beautiful Ruins by Jess Walter-- Completely out of my normal, but I loved it.  It took me till about the middle of the book before I got the point.  I'm a little slow.  But absolutely incredible.  Following the intersecting lives if Pasquale (an Italian innkeeper), Dee (a troubled actress), and Claire (a disillusioned Hollywood assistant).  The "ruins" of their lives end up making them the beautiful human beings they are.  Skip the sex sections, hold on for the Italian scenes, and watch out for the wrap up.  Great summer read.


The Rosie Project by Graeme Simsion--This book was hilarious!  It took me a couple of chapter to get into it, but once I was hooked, I couldn't put it down.  Such a funny look into an individuals mind.  Loved it.  Definitely pick this one up.




The Story of Doctor Doolittle by Hugh Lofting-- This is one of those fanciful children's classics where the animals talk, the people have unusual problems, and the adventures are unending.  The vocabulary was great for introducing new ideas to the kids and the high seas adventures kept them engaged.  We loved it!



Our suggested reading for July was Sacred Parenting by Gary Thomas--  I totally dropped the ball on this one.  I got about 2-3 chapters in and mis-placed the book.   What I had read was really good and I'm looking forward to finding it again.  Guess I'd better get to cleaning.

So what are your bookmarks this month?

Tell us in the comments about the books you're chewing on. Or link up a review from your own blog. Let's share the books we're finding, good and bad. And give us your thoughts on Sacred Parenting by Gary Thomas

And join us for our next bookmarks post coming August 29th as we discuss Simple Living by Lorilee Lippincott.

*Linked to these Parties

No comments:

Related Posts with Thumbnails